Directors and Officers Insurance
Directors and Officers insurance offers financial protection for officers and directors of an organization against lawsuits or claims for anything they had to do in conjunction with the responsibilities afforded to them by their employer and rank.
Directors and Officers Insurance often includes Fiduciary Liability and Employment Practices Liability, especially discrimination and harassment lawsuits.
This type of insurance is needed when:
- you assemble a board of directors
- you need investors for funding your company
- you have employees – management is always at the risk of employment practices lawsuits that can be covered under this type of insurance
Need for Directors and Officers Insurance
Being a company director, claims could be made against you:
- Corporate manslaughter
- Companies Act 2006
- Investigation expenses
- Data Protection Act
- Insolvency act
- Disability Discrimination Act
- Former directors and non-executives
- Workplace health and safety
- discrimination – sexual, age, racial
- Insolvency Act
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Consumer protection
Since employees, stockholders, and clients can make claims against the company as well as against the directors, who can be held personally liable and responsible for acts of the company, it is important for them to have Directors and Officers Insurance to be protected against such claims rather than endangering their assets.